All of the characters are very realistic and believable. Anastasia Krupnik is a very honest, indecisive, sassy ten-year-old girl. She kind of reminds me of Junie B. from Barbara Park's series! The book basically takes you into her mind and goes deep into the thought processes of Anastasia. The book is very well written, and it introduces some wonderful vocabulary for students. I love the relationship that Anastasia and her parents have. It's one of mutual respect, and her parents talk to her as if she is an adult. Hopefully this relationship in the story would reflect my classroom. My favorite part about Anastasia is her green notebook, and the "lists" that she keeps in it!
I have heard that this book is controversial, and I understand why. The words "shit" and "damn" are used more than once. Also, Anastasia asks her parents if they have ever had a "love affair," which may bring up some issues with parents. There is also a presence of alcohol in the book, although I think it isn't presented in a negative way. These aspects of the book could be easily overlooked, though, and it did not bother me much. Another thing that may be controversial is that Anastasia deals with the death of her grandmother. I think that Lois Lowry approached this beautifully, though, and could even help students cope with the loss of a family member. I found no part of this book condescending.
This is a great coming of age book that I think many students, especially girls, can relate to. I thought that Anastasia was hilarious, but I can see how students reading this book would just find her thoughts and actions to be nothing but normal.
This book would be great to cover different topics, I believe:
- Diversity; It's okay to be different
- Identity
- Death
- Family
I'd give this book an 9 out of 10!

No comments:
Post a Comment